Thursday, September 19, 2013

'You could change your mail id, no?'

                             Ever had people coyly suggesting that you change your mail id for a 'maturer' sounding one? At fourteen I created my first mail id, and  I've been using it ever since. Recently, I'd put up my resume on sites for job searches, and there too, in the section of Contact details, I mentioned the same mail id- starwithsecret@xyz.com. A friend of mine said, 'You ought to change that. . I mean its companies viewing your CV, and your id sounds- childish. I nodded and created an alternate id thinking I'll use that only for work purposes. So, even  now, my primary mail id stays starwithsecret. . so today a cousin asked for my mail id and I sent her an instant reply mentioning the same, when she sends an ultra-instant reply saying, 'You might want to create a new id that mentions your name, this one sounds quite star-struck. :->'   

                             I don't know about being starstruck but I sure flinched my eyebrows in confusion first, and then deleted the text. People judging you by your mail ids- wait, does that even sound normal? Creating an id that sounds grown-up like is not what I ever did or will have in mind while creating one. Okay I admit, when I read  some guy's mail id in the Matrimonial Section, [it read, hadditod@yahoo.com], I was aghast. I just think it's time people started pondering over things other than how weird someone email id sounds like, no? Because that in itself sounds, weird@people.com. :/
                                   

2 comments:

  1. I made my mail ID when I was 13 -
    ani - My pet name
    bunny - My pet name at the time; coz I had buck teeth and braces so everyone called me that.
    33 - My weight in kgs when I made the ID

    So it became -
    Anibunyy33@hotmail.com.
    Despite thousands of times being told to change it by not only family n friends but publishers and work people, I never did.

    If the world wants to contact me they can email me at anibunny33@gmail.com. If they judge me by that ID, I'd rather have them not contact me.

    ReplyDelete

The Good, Bad and the Ugly - What's Your take on this?